Saturday, April 30, 2011

Tarsem Singh's Immortals

God knows I love the Greek myths, I am a huge geek, after all...

But after the horrid, horrid, God awful stupidity that was Snyder's Suckerpunch. I am somewhat wary of another member of the slick and stylized set of Directors getting leave to make a film with their vision unfettered by the calming (and very obviously extremely necessary) influence of outside editorial input.

Tarsem Singh, I think it is safe to say, is one of those directors, the kind generally more concerned with style over substance. I mean, we've all seen The Cell, probably. It is visually arresting, no doubt, but it is also... well... stupid. Tarsem Singh didn't write it though, so that's not all his fault. He didn't write The Fall either, and while that was significantly better than The Cell and even more amazing looking, it wasn't that great either.

And so, we arrive at The Immortals (apparently Singh prefers his titles to be not too overly clever), his latest film, which is about the Greek hero of Legend: Theaseus... kind of... by which I mean, probably not at all, except that some of the names are the same.

So with all that, plus the scalding memory of Frank Miller's more than a little fascist (and saturated with more homoeroticism than Fight Club) 300, (also directed by Zach Synder) and the blind drunk uber-stupidity of the Clash of the Titans remake still fresh in my mind, it's probably not all that surprising that I'm meeting this film with more a bit of healthy skepticism.

But on the other hand, this is what it looks like:


No comments: