Thursday, December 30, 2010

End of the year (2010)

Alrighty then, so here we are again, the end of another year, the closing of another chapter, stick a fork in 2010, folks, it is done. We are mere hours from a new year and only 724 days until the end of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar and with it, the world as we know it.


It's been an up and down year, some good, some bad, but more good than bad, I think, so I guess that's a win for me.

On the blog front, this post will put me at 80 posts this year. That's about 6 or 7 posts a month, on the average, and about 30 posts less than last year. I've had a lot less of Le Sexy Ladies posts, though, so that's probably where that drop-off comes from.

Looking ahead, my dear and gentle Readers, in the coming weeks you should be on the lookout for my end-of-the-year lists to start making their annual appearances. I'm planning on a Best/Worst movie list (...surprise, surprise), once I catch up on a couple films I've missed, and I might just put up a best comic book list too, for the whole two of you out there that not only read this blog, but might actually be interested as well, depending on the wild hairs in my butt.

(Is it hairs or hares? Are you saying: "There's an ingrown hair in my butt making me do things" or are you saying: "There's feral bunnies in my butt making me do things"? Which one would Richard Gere choose, do you think?)

ANYWAY, I'm also thinking I'll put something up at the Scribblerati blog, probably in the next couple of days or so, just to put a nice little bow on things, you know? In a nutshell, keep an eye out for that shit...

On the writing front, this year has been a quiet year, a year of rejections, a year of edits. I have finished Gunslingers of the Apocalypse pretty much for good (give or take). I've also recently updated the spread sheet. I've got six queries out currently. Two are probably dead. Two are at the point of re-querying or soon will be. Two of them are still current. So, by the middle of the month, I plan on sending out a couple of new queries, while dealing with the aforementioned re-queries, as well as dig up a few more names for future use.

People should be back in the office by then.

And yeah, my stuff will end up lumped in with the post-holiday deluge of everyone else, but... que sera, sera. Meanwhile, The Little Things waits patiently for a final tweak while I finish up Monster, which should be this week. Then Monster will get trunked for a bit to percolate while The Little Things starts going back out again. Then it's back to short stories. My plan is to have six to eight of them done or very nearly almost done by spring. The ideas are lining up and I'm feeling positive about them, so we'll see. After that... I'll either get back on Bastard out of Minnesota or I'll be starting something else I've been back-burner-ing for awhile now. Either way: Stop! Novel time!

Basically, to sum up: this is a year where there will be less editing, more writing and more querying... at least, that's my plan. Also, I bought P90x... so in 90 days... look the fuck out.

All in all, I am ready for 2011, how about you?

Jon

No comments: