Friday, October 29, 2010

More Cap

Hi-ho, it's me again!

So, yesterday, I posted a copy of the The EW cover that is coming out tomorrow. Since then, they've released the interior article pictures. I browsed them and picked out a few to post here, so there's others if you want to go hunt for them.

Just FYI...

Ok,  so first we have Stanley Tucci as Dr. Erskine, the man who created the super soldier serum that transformed Steve Rogers into... well... a super soldier. I like the look of the lab. The sarcophagus is new though.

Below that, we have Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull in the days before he actually becomes the Red Skull. I can tell this, despite the photo's lack of cinematic context, simply because his head is neither red, nor a skull. Also, some of the more sharper eyed viewers out there may have noticed the death's head octopus logo emblazoned across his arm patch. This is the sigil of Hydra, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world and a group (in the comic book universe) originally started by some Nazis and some Japanese soldiers, all of whom were pissed about the war being declared over without first being consulted. However, and this is the possibly hinky part here, folks, in the movie universe, Hydra may be being used as a stand-in/replacement for the Nazis in WWII. Now, I don't know this for sure, of course, but as many of you out there will no doubt attest to, I am generally sharp-eyed myself and have noticed lots of Hydra popping up in the Marvel movie universe media and its peripheral stuff lately and very few swastikas.

Why?

Simply put: Spielberg.

He was all upset a few years back and stated a few times that he regretted using the Nazis as a foil for Indiana Jones, which I'm sure had nothing to do with his Oscar marketing campaign for Schindler's list that was going on at the time... Anyway, since then, it seems like Hollywood has been following suit. Like they're all afraid of mentioning Nazis in front of children or something, like kids shouldn't be told how fun it is to beat on Nazis. It's fucking criminal, is what that is... Lame! But whatever... Forget it, Jon... it's Hollywood.

The third picture, the one below the picture of Mr. Weaving, features a dark trio of dudes scootin' around on the motorcycles. They are of course, some examples of the rank and file Hydra goon. I don't know about you kids, but I'm digging the whole facemask/helmet/goggle thing they got going on there.

Anyway, have a gander, I'll wait...



And finally, here's something of interest. An alternate Captain America costume, maybe an early or ad-hoc version (note the torn sleeve at the shoulder) and the classic original shield. I like that. Seeing shit like that makes me smile. Love the blue helmet, too.


So, there's that. More insights, more glimpses. And what do we make of all of it? Myself, at this point, I'm leaning positive as far as the looks department goes. Let's hope it's a little more dirty and grainy on film though, not so bright and day-glo, but mostly, yeah... it looks okay. And sure, the no Nazis thing bugs me, but there's not much I can do about it. It definitely won't change, I'll tell you that much, so no use whining about it... I'm just hoping they'll treat Hydra as a splinter group of the Axis and not the Axis in and of itself... but I'm not holding my breath.

So, yeah... positive... for now, at least, but the real tests still lie ahead: The trailers and the script.

No comments: