Thursday, September 23, 2010

Q Day: One year later


It’s been a year, folks, a whole entire year since the moment I officially first set foot out into the big, bad world of the struggling, unpublished writer.

One year since the queries first went out.

One year since Q Day.

One year.

So now, looking back, what do I have to show for it? Where am I now?

Well, honestly, for the most part, I’m in the same place. I currently have 5 queries out and I’m waiting for a response on them. Yeah, I’m still plugging away, nose to the grindstone and all that; I've been busy hunting down Agents, querying, querying, querying, and staying on top of it all, but in the end, it's still the same shit, different day. Nothing new to report, at least nothing concrete, not really, and yet… at the same time, yeah, there have been some real changes.

Sure, I’ve received my fair share of form rejections, six or seven or so, I’d say, which is more than some, but less than most... so far. But I’ve also received four or five personal notes and had two requests for "more pages", even one request for the full manuscript! ...so close... Out of fourteen submissions? That’s not bad, ladies and gentlemen, that is not bad at all… It’s not great, granted, but hey… silver lining. And the continued work itself has value too, like any good workout, after all this time, I think my writing has grown stronger, more confident, and I know I'm able to dip into that well easier and more often. Anyway, the point is, I'm doing good, at least, as good as “still unpublished” can be, maybe, but good nonetheless.

It’s an on-going process, basically.

Meanwhile, the learning process continues, as does its creative counterpart. I cut out 20,000 words from Gunslingers, which resulted in a leaner, stronger book. I’ve started work on the second one, too, but I’m waiting a bit before really committing to that one... just in case. In the interim, I’ve been gathering notes and random thoughts on a different series. We’ll see how that one pans out, it's looking good, I’m hopeful, but we’ll see. I’ve also put together a short story that I recently began the submissions process with, and there’s a second one I’m working on right now that is well on its way toward completion too. Things are moving, folks, so at the very least, I’ll be keeping myself busy for the foreseeable future.

Sure, on one hand, it’s gone nowhere.

But on the other hand, it’s still going.

Still going. That's me.

What’s that quote:

“You never knocked me down, Ray! Ya’ hear? You never knocked me down!"
 –Jake La Motta, Raging Bull, 1980

Yeah,
Jon

No comments: