Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Thor


Okay, for those of you who don't know on sight, what you see here is (from left to right): Thor, God of Thunder. His Father Odin, the All-Father, the King of the Norse Gods and his half brother Loki, the trickster God... from the upcoming Marvel movie: Thor.

And...

Hmmmm... I'm still torn.

And not because of the plasticene armor--well, yes, because of the armor, but not because it's necessarily terrible (although it kind of is), because honestly it looks pretty Jack Kirby-ish. And that's cool and all... I guess, but, I wonder if the Normals out there can handle it, the non comic folks who are going to make up the bulk of the ticket sales. And here's a second concern that just occurred to me: What if Kenneth Branagh has decided to go "comic book" for his design? As in: Remember the old Batman movies? Day-glo colors, anyone? I shudder and then puke a little in my mouth at the thought. Personally, I was hoping this film would have a little more of a Lord of the Rings type realism vibe going on in both costume and setting, but so far, all the pictures I've seen seem to insinuate a different direction.

I mean, I'll go, but... hmmm... concern...

Also: Where's Loki's crazy helmet?

Anyway, my fingers are still crossed, I'm still hopeful, I'll reserve my actual initial judgement for the day I finally get to see the trailer... but, hmmmm... I don't know, peeps... I don't know...

Yours,
Jon

The pic from the Thor movie was taken from the L.A.Times. BTW, you should follow that link. Or don't, because it's all about how they are planning on using the 3-D conversion process for both this and the upcoming Captain America movie... great...

2 comments:

Shawn Enderlin said...

What is up with Sir Hopkins? I mean, it looks like someone shoved something up his ass...

And you're right, where the hell is Loki's helmet? What are they going to do instead? Give him a douchebag dew?

xkettnerdx said...

Yeah...I was encouraged by the initial thor pic...and this one has me lukeward...I DO really like the kirby-ish design to the stuff...my main issue is that asgard just looks too damn clean....just a little too buffed out. Odin's eyepatch looks cg'd on.....so I dunno...maybe this pic has just been photoshopped into mediocrity.

Also, I'm hoping that some crazy horned and winged helmets make it in there....
I'm sure we'll learn moreafter comic con....