Friday, April 30, 2010

The son of Odin


Hmmm... At first glance, I'm a little underwhelmed.

Now, maybe it's me, but I definitely did not get the same feeling from this picture as I did the first time I saw the "sneak" pic of Iron Man's Mark 1 armor. That first shot of the beat up scrap metal armor made me sit up and take notice. I said to myself: "Wow, self, what are they doing here?" But this one? This one looks maybe a little too plastic-Batman-outfitty to me... which is/isn't surprising, I guess, but still... from the art in the comics, I always thought that sleeve was supposed to be more like chainmail. What, were the WETA guys too busy?

Hmmm... But then, maybe it's the lighting. Maybe we just need to see it in motion. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I mean, yeah, my initial reaction is: underwhelmed. But like I said, this is just a glimpse and honestly, I'm not sure what I was really expecting in the first placee, so maybe that's the rub...

What should we expect?

Thor is the one property out of all of the upcoming Marvel properties that I was the most unsure about. I like the guy they picked, he was really good in a very small role in Abrams's Star Trek. In fact, the whole cast is pretty all around impressive (Anthony Hopkins is Odin), and Kenneth Branagh is directing... I mean, it's got talent, potential, but can it be pulled off? Is Kirby's version of Asgard unfilmable? And I wonder: Will they have the balls to actually call him a God? Hmm... hmm... hmm...hmm... questions and riddles, my friends, questions and riddles and only time will tell.

Bottom line: I need to see more.

Hopefully there's a trailer attached to Iron Man 2.

BTW, I found this at Aint it Cool, they got it from somewhere else.

1 comment:

thedailysb said...

I have to agree with your assessment. I think a way to film the fantastical Asgard was to play up the Dark Age Viking aspects (armor that looks like armor, etc.) while also embracing some of the Kirby elements (crazy color schemes, wacky headpieces, etc.) The molded, "I can see the shape of your triceps through your armor," plasto-leather look is not what I had in mind. And we still need to see the helmet. So, I agree, it's a wait-and-see situation.