Monday, June 15, 2009

I love you, George, I hate you

I put this on my Facebook page. Some of you may have seen it, others may not have, so I'm putting it up here, not just for those of you that weren't paying complete attention, but for myself, as well. For you see, this is the Star Wars of my dreams...

Behold...

Incredible. Brilliant. Awesome. Fast paced. Imaginative. Cool. Fun. Kick-ass. This game trailer is everything that the Prequels were not, which when coupled with the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars DVDs, can't help but force me to ask the question:

Why the Hell is Star Wars only good when George Lucas ISN'T involved?

He's the creator, he's the Man with the Plan, the guy behind the guy, the Big Cheese, as they say... so how is it possible for him to be the one who came up with the idea, the one who breathed life into it and made it into what it is and yet, at the same time, to also be the one who nearly destroyed it? I mean, lets face it, the Prequels might just be the three worst movies of all time, the crappiest crap of all crapdom.

Let me Quantify this...

Yes, there are worse films. Of course there are, duh, but those films don't count. Why? Because they were all lacking in the one thing that the Star Wars Prequels had over them all and in spades too.

Potential.

It's all about potential and, let me assure you, there has never been, and most likely will never again be, another movie with as much potential for greatness as the Star Wars Prequels.

And, before you get started, yes, I am well aware of the realities of the Original Trilogy. I don't believe them to be infallible, besides, that's not what this blog is about. Focus, please. No, this blog is about The Prequels, a trio of movies where the whole of Hollywood was laid back before Lucas, spread and willing, praying, hoping to be a part of these movies, even if its just the smallest part. There is an entire generation of people out there, working in the Industry right now, who decided on this particular career path many, many years ago, at some point with the first half hour of their first viewing of the first film. These people represent a wide array of talent in all fields of the film industry, and you know what, hyperbole aside, I bet most of them would have worked for free, that's how much love there was... Before...

I know I would have... once...

And yet...

Well, we all saw them... there's no need to beat that particular Dead Horse into paste, lets just say this: "They weren't very good" and leave it at that.

But how is this possible? Has Lucas lost touch, up there on his mountain top, insulated from the outside world within his solid gold house and rocket car? How does that happen? Does a lack of concern for price mean that you sacrifice good taste? Or was Lucas never actually that talented in the first place, never anything but an idea man who got real, real lucky once upon a time? Or was the Kurgen right? Is it better to burn out then to fade away?

Anyway... kick-ass trailer, huh?

3 comments:

Marshall Banana said...

You should see some of the stuff they are writing about for this game, it look pretty fantastic. Are you actually going to get into an MMORPG?

thedailysb said...

Pretty excited about this game as a fan of MMOs and an old fan of Star Wars. The game is being developed by Bioware and they have a great reputation for great roleplaying games. The orignal Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favorite games ever.

Jon said...

I do love Knights of the Old Republic and this trailer makes me all drooly and starry-eyed, however, I can not ignore the fact that should I ever allow myself to use or play one an MMO, then my life would be over.

I have a problem. I know this.

So I stay away.

What I want to know is: How come they can't make a movie in this style? I mean, a good one, not like those terrible Final Fantasy ones.