Monday, May 4, 2009

Taking what they giving…

Cause I’m working for a living! WHOA-OH! Taking what they giving! WHOA-OH! Working for a living! WHOA-OH-OOOOOOH!

Whatever happened to Huey Lewis?

I mean, there was Sports, which was a big, big hit with the kids and proved, finally, once and for all, that the heart of Rock N’ Roll was indeed still beating… in Cleveland, and then there was the next one with Jacob’s Ladder on it (the song they refused to stop playing… ever) and then… What? No more? This is it? (Oh-Waa!) Please, let me know! Because if he is done, you better let me know. If this is it, (Oh-Waa!) I’ll find another row, cause if you’re all done, Huey, just say so!

I’m feeling pleasant and awake today and as a result, I am actually pretty productive with my various Sisyphean labors here at my Day Prison, (at least… until I started bloggin…) enough so that one of the Middle Trustees deigned to pat me on the head this morning and even allowed me a little bit of fresh water…which is nice.

I blame this sudden lift in my spirits all on the fact that, as of last night, I am now very, very nearly 2/3rds of the way done with the final copy edits on Gunslinger. Seriously, as in… I am spitting distance from page 400 (yes, there are more that four hundred pages in my book, what do you want? Its epic. Shut up.) Anyway, the West Coast Twin Star Copy Editor Sukiyaki Death Squad Girl came in large and in charge yesterday with some major power edits, plus I am going to get some fresh pages from the Home Base Sukiyaki Girl tonight… and so, as a result, the end of this project has finally crested that far off hill, it lingers just within my sight. It’s close, oh, it’s oh so close. Tantalizing… Now… now I am starting to feel good. Now, I am starting to feel like I am actually going to get this goddamn thing done.

This is all very good for my general feelings of super awesomeness, because honestly, I have been struggling as of late, people, juggling work and edits and trying to squeeze in some new writing here and there, not to mention spending some time with Little Ms. Super-cute Girlfriend and our various day to day life stuff… so now, with this major leap forward… man…it is a load off, folks, let me tell you, it is a load off.

UPDATES!

I am muddled deep with stagnant swamp that is the story establishing Chapter 2 of Bastard out of Minnesota. It is slow, slow going, the tale digging in its heels and only giving ground when it has to, but my writing legs are well muscled, if somewhat unused to such hard labor lately, and I’ve got my head down and my legs a’pumpin’… so I’m slogging through the morass. Fear not, Gentle Reader, I’ll make it out the other side, but I can tell already, its going to be an effort. After this Thursday, though, I’ll dedicate some major time to it. I’m planning on cutting the brake lines on this bitch and just letting it blast off, careening down hill at dangerous speeds, shooting hairpin turns and riding the cliff’s edge, pell-mell and hell bent for leather, misspellings, mistakes and random possible missteps be damned. The hardest part of all this, I found, is remembering that I can fix it later, that I can come back with fresh eyes and I’m blaming that for my recent slow motions. Plow ahead, kid, plow ahead and clean up the mess later.

Tonight is my Writers’ Group, however two of the Sparkle Ball Death Bunnies won’t be able to make it, so while we will still have majority, it’ll definitely feel like a skeleton crew with just Gaunt and Q and I, plus, with this arrangement, I am the only one NOT being critiqued, so… that’ll feel weird. I guess, once again… the cheese stands alone. Its of my own doing though, as I gave up early on submitting Chapter Two this time. I’m hoping for next time…

HOWEVER,

there is a small part of me wondering if maybe I should just say, fuck that shit and get a couple chapters under my belt first, so that I feel a little more in touch with the story, like I’m standing on a little more firm ground as a whole before I go looking for any kind of critiques. I had five chapters done before I got my first responses the last time, so maybe I should just stick to the path… after all, the woods are dark and dangerous and as a general rule wandering off the path will only get you lost or worse… eaten alive…

Also, this Thursday is the Cartoonist Conspiracy meet and I’m going to go. My first time and, I think, the group’s first time with a writer there, so I’m not sure what to expect, but it could be pretty fun. I’m hopeful. I’m sure you will read all about it here at some point afterwards. I don’t think I’ll have a lot done, though, sample story-wise, to take with me, beyond my one comic I wrote during the class, so I was thinking about trying to whip the short, short (750 word) story I submitted to Brain Harvest (still no response) into comic form, as well. Its called Gas Run. (Its not about farting.) This might not be necessary though, as I’m generally only going to need 1-3 page samples, that is… if anyone is interested in drawing something of mine in the first place, and I already have a 22 page comic to pull samples from, so… problem solved, at least for the first couple of meets. Also, plus side, if I hand out the whole thing in pieces to various people, when I get it all back, I can piece together a book that is a hodge-podge quilt of artistic styles all telling the same story, so that might be kind of cool… We shall see…

Other than that, I just wanted to state for the record, that Little Ms. Super-cute Girlfriend is WAY hotter than any of the various skanky booby chicks you find here.

Just saying…

3 comments:

zoey said...

great idea to take the pressure off yourself and just write. don't think about submitting it to your group yet. take the brakes off. i'll tidy up your punctuation.

Jon said...

Punctutation? BAH! That's what editors are for.

zoey said...

that's what i just said!