Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend wrap-up

It went good. It went good.

I managed to get a good amount of work done on Sunday. Mostly it was work on my comic book and not the novels, but I also read and reviewed Senor Fancy Pants’ first few pages of his initial comic book effort. I also had time to watch Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-long Blog and Venture Bros Season Three, both are highly recommended. But back to the comic, I’d guess that I am about 2/3rds done, not counting the part where I try to sketch in the figures and environment for the sake of panel blocking, so that aside, that means that my book should end up as about 22 pages, which is full size. So, if I should ever try to publish it or pitch it somewhere someday to someone then atleast it will be a regular sized effort, so there's a nice little benefit of my Loft class.

Hooray for me and my regular sized effort!

The other upside of the class is that now that I’m well into writing the comic, I actually feel pretty confident with the format, which is what I was looking for. The comic book format is now no longer my enemy, but my friend, its subtle languages and gentle nuances have become clear to me. Now I feel like I can write and block my own comic, on my own time, for my own reasons, which is good, so the class already has a thumbs up from me and its not even done yet! AND if its done all that, already, just imagine the possible surprises that may lay ahead. Personally, I’m hoping for an ice cream party, but don’t tell Little Ms. Supercute Girlfriend should that beautiful dream come true, as I’m not supposed to eat ice cream, because she is a fascist. Ssssssssssh!

But I digress…

I’ll be honest though, folks, and if you'll let me, I gotta bring the room down for a moment, and get a little real with y’all… the idea of sketching out the rough panels for the book is intimidating, even if it is just stick figures. Maybe I just won’t do that part and instead just consider the shapes and placement of the panels and the script itself, together, as guide enough for whomever the future imaginary artist of my book may be... maybe...

Some cool news on the horizon though is that Zander Cannon (he’s my instructor and I should probably just call him Zander, but Zander Cannon sounds like a superhero name.) is planning to have a bunch of local artists draw a one page comic written by each one of us students, so I’m planning on using a page out of the comic I'm working on now, natch... If it looks good (fingers crossed) I’ll scan it and post it up here where we can ALL enjoy it. If it doesn’t… I’ll feign ignorance of the entire situation despite any evidence pruduced to the contrary.

So that’s a little something for you all to look forward to in the next week or so, you lucky ducks.

Other than that, there’s nothing new to talk about. It was a work weekend… Oh! Little Ms. Supercute Girlfriend and I went on a date on Saturday. It started out as a hunt for new linens (her current obsession), which took us to the Mall of America. (I know…ugh...) There we ate at Famous Dave’s, which is admittedly a low point in the evening, but beggars can’t be choosers…

Sidebar: Now, I may not be a professional child-raiser, hell, I’m not even a parent as far as I’m aware of, but it seems too me that it might be…hmmm… a SLIGHTLY poor parenting choice to be feeding a half dozen 8 year olds a garbage can lid full of ribs, bbq chicken, corn on the cob, fried potatoes, cornbread, coleslaw and giant cokes at 9:30 at night, wouldn't you say? Perhaps something lighter might be a better choice…

ANYWAY, after Famous Dave’s shot through our systems like a run-away poop train on a collision course with toilet bowl station, we went to a movie and guess what we tried out?

The VIP ticket!

For a mere $11.50 per ticket (sounds like a too much, but wait) we saw I Love You, Man (good) without a single person under 21 in the theatre AND they bring you food, candy, pop, beer… whatever you want, all the colors of the rainbow, and all at your seat! I can not tell you how great this was, as I’m sure you are all aware of how much I despise the children of strangers, especially when they’re loose and moving around in public! You’re not even allowed to throw things at their heads AND if you should come across a pack of them in a dark and desolate place some late night far from home? They will eat you… True Story, saw it on Buffy once. Anyway, again, if you have the chance to see a moviee VIP style… You should do it, it is totally choice.

Okay, so tonight is my double work night, so I’m cutting this off here.

See you tomorrow, kids!

No comments: