Friday, February 20, 2009

My girlfriend won't let me buy any more books...

Just because I have a few stacked up on the bedside table waiting to be read. I mean, I'll get to them eventually, so why can't I just keep buying the books that catch my eye? Its not like I'm an addict of something... Look, here is the list:

ON THE TABLE:

Spook Country by William Gibson
(a little slow and unexciting, but I'll finish it eventually. I have to admit though, I long for the days of Gibson's much more cyber-punky stuff.)

Chung Kuo - The Middle Kingdom by David Wingrove
(I've had this forever and have always meant to start it. It threw me as a 12 year old, but I've always loved the idea of a Chinese dominated world that has become one big, multi-leveled city and the revolution forming in its deep bowels...)

Anthem by Neal Stephenson
(I really enjoy his stuff, especially Snow Crash, although most of it can be a little slow at times. If you're patient though, you're usually rewarded... except for Diamond Age, that was terrible.)

Blindness by Jose Saramago
(The girlfriend's Mother won this. She wanted the Kite Runner and was really pissed about it. I think she viewed it as a slight. So, I got the book. Yay me!)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
(This was recommended to me. I don't know why, but I guess we'll find out once I read it.)

Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America by Brian Francis Slattery
(yeah... this one is purported to be a surrealists' sci-fi yarn... possibly a little over-pretentious...)

Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy
(I am such a fan and the book is beautiful, but dense. It is an effort to read, worth it, but still... an effort.)

Slash by Slash
(Fuck yeah, man.)

Ask a Ninja Presents The Ninja Handbook: This Book Looks Forward to Killing You Soon by Douglas Sarine and Kent Nichols
(A book like this could save your life someday... You never know... you never know...)

The Whale Road by Robert Low
(recommended by a friend, its about Vikings and pillaging and plundering. The part that really interested me though, is that the Author apparently is a regular Live Action Role Player... or LARPer, in geek speak... as a Viking. Meaning, for the un-geekly, he dresses up as a Viking and hits other dressed up people with a fake axe and I love crazy weird-os like that, so I'll check his book out...)

Wastelands (a collection of short stories about the Apocalypse) edited by John Joseph Adams
(kind of good, kind of lame, you know how collections are...)

The Living Dead (a collection of short stories about Zombies) edited by John Joseph Adams
(second verse, same as the first...)

And their memory was a bitter tree: Queen of the Black Coast and Others by Robert E. Howard
(Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the their women!)

Two-Lane Blacktop (the Script) by Will Corry and Rudolph Wurlitzer
(This movie fascinates me an I couldn't really explain why.)

Earth X by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger and John Paul Leon
(Hmmm... I like parts, I really don't like others. A "possible future" Marvel tale, quite possibly "all show, no go.")

Criminal Vol. 1: Coward by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
(I love Brubaker's stuff, especially Incognito, but this one... meh... it doesn't grab me and its crime fiction about con men and a big heist, so...)

The Ultimates, Vol. 1 (Hardcover) by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch
(oh, so good. A great re-imagining of established Marvel characters in about as real a real-world situation as you can get.)

ON THE FLOOR (rejected)

Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey
(ugh... completely, absolutely terrible... ham-fisted, false, lame, poorly written... totally not worth your time. The only good thing about this book is that if someone this terrible can get published... ANYONE can.)

Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War, Vol. 1 by Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons, and Ethan Van Sciver
(meh... the geeks are flipping out for Green Lantern's current stuff right now, but I just can't do it. I'm just not interested, mostly because A. I'm a Marvel head, not DC and B. I'm just not that into Space Operas anymore.)

So, now you see, right? ...Her moratorium on new books is completely unreasonable.

Completely.

I don't have a problem. I can quit whenever I want to.

No comments: