Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A little bit about me (Part 2: Book 2)

So, as of last night, I am now over a third of the way done with the third/final draft copy edits on Gunslingers of the Apocalypse, with much thanks due to my bad ass, twin star Copy Editor Sukiyaki Death Squad Girls. They are dangerous and hard working and willing to put forth a phenomenal effort for very little (read: probably zero) money.

HOWEVER…

Such a herculean effort for such a low, low price does come some what slowly. Apparently they both have lives, so they can not dedicate every waking hour to my book. This is understandable, I guess, so in spite of, or perhaps due to, my resultant nervous anticipation of finishing, I have started the second book in the interim.

I’m calling it: Bastard out of Minnesota.

Now, the reasons for this new effort are three-fold.

1. Nervous energy meets a general enjoyment of writing plus a desire to continue the story. …Well… that pretty much summed up that whole reason in a sentence… Moving on.

2. Apparently the first question asked, once the ink is dry on the contract and the book is on the way to the press, is: “What’s next?” If and when that ever happens to me, I want to be able to say: “I have a rough first draft of Book Two…”

3. Which brings us here. Apparently, They say that the key to getting published in Genre fiction these days is franchises, multiple books with recurring characters, so “Black Magic” Jack El-Hai’s adventures are set up to spread out over four books. The plan is that each title will be able to be read and appreciated on its own, but when linked together they will provide a more full experience, a greater character arc and story.

So tonight, once I am freed from the constraining walls of my day-prison, I will return to my writing with a renewed focus, a pledge to write every night, for a little while, at least, and try to build something presentable… hopefully. So far, I have around… somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 pages. They’re rough, out of order, but hot and I can see the shape they’re beginning to burn on the page. I’ve been stumbling across random bits and pieces during my day, too, while other parts of the story have been forming in my dreams and whispering answers, so tonight I’m excited to set my fingers to my keyboard again, I going to try and pound this unsightly hunk of beginning scribbles into something sharp and cutting.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

zoey said...

"...bad ass, twin star Copy Editor Sukiyaki Death Squad Girls. They are dangerous and hard working..." thanks...that's all the payment i need! :)